Year End Meme of 2011
I used to do this every year, on blogs hopefully now lost in the vastness of the internet… Nostalgia!
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Got pregnant. Had a miscarriage. Got and stayed pregnant. Traveled to New England. Stopped being an admin assistant. Mudded drywall. Tiled a fireplace surround. Got some words I wrote published in a real book.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t seem to recall making any. If I did, it was probably ‘breathe more’ and I’ve actually done okay with that, this year. Not having any one die helped.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
One of our good friends did, and her son has the chubbiest, munchable cheeks. I know at least 5 other people who are pregnant now, so next year will be a baby boom.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
*frantically knocks wood* No. Thankfully.
5. What countries did you visit?
We went to LA in March, then Boston and New England in September. And I met up with my sister in Seattle in October.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Man, next year is such a mystery to me. I mean, I’ll have a HUMAN BEING TO KEEP ALIVE WITH MY BREASTS. And will be on parental leave for 10 months. I have absolutely no idea what next year will be like. I guess I’d like to have a happy healthy baby next year?
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I’m not really good with dates, but the day where I peed on a stick stand out, and the first ultrasound, and my 30th birthday. And on Dec 1, I was officially promoted to Technician, so that was memorable, and a lovely birthday gift.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Above mentioned promotion. I worked hard to get that made official.
9. What was your biggest failure?
For a while, I’d have said my inability to get out of my pink collar role. But that worked out. Actually, everything, even the shitty stuff (basement flood, miscarriage, job frustrations) worked out okay. 2011 was good. (Especially after the wreck that was 2010. I may not have the best perspective.)
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Some of the pregnancy side effects have been annoying, and the round 1 stomach flu -> round 2 stomach flu -> chest cold -> head cold -> endless cough thing has sucked. It’s been 8 weeks, it can stop at ANY TIME. But again, last year my legs went numb and took weeks of physio to fix. This year one physio appointment fixed my sciatica issues. Win. (We’ll ignore the rather constant heartburn. I’m pregnant. Something annoying was bound to happen.)
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My mother wins the Most Improved Award. She’s so much happier and easier to be around now.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
A family member to be left unnamed did their damnedest to ruin Christmas and a week later I’m still frothing mad. Also, every single bit of reproductive news out of the States this year. It’s 2011, how can y’all still be debating abortion?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Vacations! We leave for Cabo in a couple of weeks. Plus LA and New England and Seattle. It’s been fun.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Vacations. I’m still a little too terrified about having a baby to be as excited as I should be.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
I don’t know. I listened to Library Voices “Step off the Map & Float” a ton of times, so that one, probably.
“I’ve got places to be but nowhere I need to go
It’s safe to say, the road less travelled leads to you.
Your existence is a pinprick
On a paper continent”
Last year is was totally and clearly Wintersleep’s “Weighty Ghost”. I loved the song even before my father got sick, but then it took on weight. The day he died, driving across town to my mother’s, it came on the radio. David and I were each driving a car, and listening to the same radio station, and the sky was burning blue and I blasted this song and cried, a little.
“You can’t kill something that’s already dead
Just leave my soul alone
I don’t need no surgery
Take those knives away from me
Just wanna die in my own body
A ghost just needs a home.”
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier. Much happier.
b) thinner or fatter? I’m 7 months pregnant. Fatter.
c) richer or poorer? Richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Breathing. Going to movies and plays.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Holding on to my anger.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my family and David’s, all together.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
As always, even more so with David. I got really fucking lucky, you guys. He’s amazing.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Can’t choose. Community, Parks and Rec, The Office, How I Met Your Mother, The IT Crowd, Torchwood, Doctor Who, Big Bang Theory… We watch a lot of sitcoms and British shows, and I love them all.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate? No. Really really angry with? Yes. Righteous anger lingers.
24. What was the best book you read?
I read over a hundred books. I couldn’t even start to pick a favourite.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Foster the People. Library Voices. Cold War Kids.
26. What did you want and get?
To be pregnant.
27. What did you want and not get?
To not have our basement flood and insurance refuse to cover it and to have to do all the fixing ourselves. Er, I only wanted that after the fact. Didn’t really occur to me to wish for that in advance.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Bridesmaids was delightful. And the Muppet Movie was wonderful.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 30. I took the day off, got a massage, watched The Muppet Movie, had a nap, went out for sushi and then got presents. It was perfect.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I don’t know. It was a pretty great year, over all. Maybe no basement flood so we could have taken a summer road trip vacation?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Plus sized hand me downs from my aunt make decent pregnancy clothes! Aka: I am cheap and maternity clothes are stupidly overpriced.
32. What kept you sane?
David. Books. Work. Exercise.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Jason Segel. Yum.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Abortion in America. How is this still a debate??
35. Who did you miss?
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I met a woman who became my work mentor, until she moved back to the States. She was an excellent teacher and helped me to push myself at work. I was very lucky to work for/with her for 4 months.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Good things happen. Sometimes you have to wait, and some times you have to force the issues (babies, and work, respectively) but stuff can, and does, get better.